The next major release of FreeBSD, version 7, is one of the most significant so far, with amount of new technologies and improvement largest since introduction of 5.0.
Some of the upcoming features are:
- New sendfile() implementation, improved sosend()
- TOE and TSO support
- TCP socket buffers auto-sizing
- New platform: ARM architecture
- Security event auditing
- New platform: sun4v (Niagara / T1)
- New scheduler: SCHED_CORE
- New scheduler: ULE 2.0
- SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol)
- Hi-def audio
- PMC performance monitoring
- Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (802.1w)
- New privilege separation capabilities
More information and details on these exciting features can be read here.