After more than 1 year FreeNAS 0.686 (a FreeBSD-based operating system which provides free Network-Attached Storage (NAS) services) has been released. A lot of hard work has been put into it, bugs have been fixed and new features have been implemented.
Volker, the project leader wants to thank those who have helped out on the forums, the translators, the webmaster and those who have contributed code to improve FreeNAS.
For the future multiple branches have to be mananged, a 0.686x to fix bugs in stable (no new features) and a 0.7 to upgrade FreeBSD to 7.0 + new features.
- Refactor port makefiles.
- Upgrade netbsd-iscsi (iscsi-target) to 20071221, fusefs-ntfs to 1.1120.
- Disable firmware upgrade via WebGUI for ‘full’ installations. Use the ‘full’ upgrade mode from LiveCD instead.
- Changed boot splashscreen and WebGUI logo images.
- Try to fix AFP Time Machine problem.
- Fix bug in ‘full’ upgrade/install routine (LiveCD).
- Do not delete log files during boot process on ‘full’ installations.
- It is not possible to format a SoftRAID disk with MSDOS FAT16/32.
- It is not possible to encrypt a disk partition, only complete disks are supported.