The wait is over. After about 20 months since v1.0, 1.6 has been released.
This release is the first stable release of the 1.6 branch and comes with a great number of new features and improvements. It is based on the second release candidate of FreeBSD’s upcoming production release 6.3 and provides the user with an enhanced KDE 3.5.8 desktop environment.
Congratulations to the DBSD Team
The most notable new features are:
- FreeBSD 6 as a modern and reliable base system
- X.Org release 7.3, improving support for modern graphics hardware
- Live CD/DVD feature for testing the system without installation
- Revised installer supporting upgrades from 1.0 and previous 1.6 RCs
- Improved package manager usability and performance
- Many enhancements and bugfixes for the DesktopBSD tools
- Support for multiple processors and multi-core CPUs
- Inclusion of the NVIDIA graphics driver for hardware 3D rendering
- DesktopBSD build servers as an up-to-date package source