PC-BSD 1.5 RC2 has been released. Here’s a quick-list of some of the new features:
- Xorg 7.3
- KDE 3.5.8
- FreeBSD 6.3 Release
- NEW System Updater tool – Keeps system & PBIs up to date – Allows override variables, so that admins can use their own mirrors / servers to roll out updates to users.
- Improvements to WiFi tool, BSSID support and better SSID support
- Improvements to the PBI Removal tool – Remove a list of PBIs at a time
- NEW sound detection program! Uses XML backend to identify and load modules
- NEW amd64 build of 1.5, including PBI that are on our auto-build server
- NEW PBI icon preview library, now a PBI file shows the icon embedded in it on your desktop, not the generic “PBI” format icon
I’ve been beta testing this (and previous versions) and must say this version is really stable and very fast (I know, I’m prejudiced ;-)
RC2 can be downloaded from the PC-BSD ftp site. If you’re interested, give it a try and let us know what you think and if you come across any glitches and bugs (our testing mailing list is testing [at] lists [dot] pcbsd [dot] org)
Oh, we’re also still looking for translators for the 1.5 version. If you’re willing and able to help, drop me a line: [gerard [at] pcbsd [dot] org
UPDATE (08/03/2008): 1.5 RC3 is now available.