Peter Hofer, founder of DesktopBSD, has announced on the mailinglist DesktopBSD 1.7. This new release comes with FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p3 as base system and KDE 3.5.10 as desktop environment and includes a large number of pre-installed applications. The easy-to-use graphical installer and utilities allow for a simple installation and configuration process.
Notable changes include:
- FreeBSD 7.2 as stable and secure base system
- KDE 3.5.10 as mature and easy-to-use desktop environment
- OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 as feature-rich office suite
- Pre-installed Java SE 6 environment
- X.Org release 7.4 with extensive graphics hardware support
- Large number of enhancements and fixes
Please note that DesktopBSD will not be maintained any more by Peter:
This is the last and final release of the DesktopBSD project I find myself having less and less time to spare lately and no longer desire to keep developing and maintaining this project. However, because DesktopBSD is based entirely on FreeBSD, further support for the operating system and availability of up-to-date software is ensured.