The alpha version number 2 of PC-BSD 8.0 is now ready for testing.
Notable changes in this release:
- FreeBSD 8.0-RC1
- Improvements to base system
- Using /usr/local LOCALBASE, allows users to easily modify their base desktop in the usual FreeBSD-ish way
- Port-Console tool, provides users a way to build / run ports in a jailed environment, without fear of destroying their working desktop setup
- Many bugfixes to the install / live image, fixed lots of hal/dbus issues with xorg and fixed many bugs running in LIVE mode from DVD.
- NVIDIA drivers for 32bit now included (Nvidia is working on the 64bit drivers, and we’ll include those when they are released)
- Misc other bugfixes, etc
Both the 32 and 64bit can be download ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/
Please note, this is an ALPHA version; expect BUGS bugs and problems. We are still working on the new installer, and hope to have that impelemented in one of the next alphas.
PBIs are not yet being built for 8.0, but we are getting ready to do so, now that the release of FreeBSD 8.0 is getting closer.
If you come across any problems please drop us a note on the testing mailinglist