The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team has announced the availability of FreeBSD 8 stable release. Some of the highlights of this version are:
- Xen DomU support
- network stack virtualization
- stack-smashing protection
- TTY layer rewrite
- much improved ZFS v13
- a new USB stack
- multicast updates including IGMPv3
- vimage — a new virtualization container
- Fedora 10 Linux binary compatibility to run Linux software such as Flash 10 and others
- trusted BSD MAC (Mandatory Access Control)
- rewritten NFS client/server introducing NFSv4.
- Inclusion of improved device mmap() extensions will allow the technical implementation of a 64-bit Nvidia display driver for the x86-64 platform.
Please consider making a donation and spread the word by tweeting and blogging about the drive and release.
Links to check out before installing or upgrading: