Olivier Cochard-Labbé has added a roadmap page to the FreeNAS website: FreeNAS 0.8 roadmap.
We can already see a positive impact from iXsystem‘s takeover of the FreeNAS project: “Refactor the build system” and the “one click binary installs”. Two features that PC-BSD (another iXsystems project) already has. PC-BSD has the Push Button GUI installer and iXsystems also provides the hardware for the build servers.
From the roadmap:
- Development on FreeBSD RELENG_8. Release, depending on timeframe may be based on a RELENG_8 snapshot or 8.1-RELEASE
- Migrate off m0n0wall
- Migrate GUI to django
- Add support for ada and ahci SATA drivers
- Add optional SoftUpdates + Journaling support to UFS2 filesystems
- Migration path/tool for previous releases and configurations
- Preservation of all existing features of the current FreeNAS release
- Refactor FreeNAS build system to allow building FreeNAS without affecting the host environment
- FreeNAS package support. Binary one click installs that modify the GUI dynamically.
We’re looking forward to the first iXsystems FreeNAS release.