pfSense is an open source distribution of FreeBSD-based firewall which provides a platform for flexible and powerful routing and firewalling. The versatility of pfSense presents us with a wide array of configuration options.
Matt Williamson takes a look at some frequently asked questions on pfSense such as:
- Q: What are the minimum hardware requirements for pfSense?
- Q: How does pfSense identify and assign interfaces?
- Q: How to enable the Secure Shell (SSH) service in pfSense?
- Q: How does pfSense assign DNS servers to the DHCP clients?
- Q: What happens if the Register DHCP Leases in DNS Forwarder is enabled?
- Q: What is an alias? What are the different types of aliases in pfSense?
- Q: How does the OpenVPN service work?
- Q: What are Gateway Groups?
- Q: How are bridged interfaces useful and how can one bridge together two interfaces in pfSense?
- Q: What is OLSR and how is it enabled in pfSense?
- Q: How to configure pfSense to automatically back up its configuration file?