Below a number of links to interesting FreeBSD (related) projects and resources.
ArabBSD is a new FreeBSD related project, working to create an Arabian FreeBSD operating system:
ArabBSD is a project which aims to provide infrastructure for the most reliable and secure operating system FreeBSD. We aim to have our own Arab Operating System developers soon starting from the analysis of FreeBSD infrastructure, block diagram formulation and call for research groups within each field. Anyone who is interesting in operating systems and their news can join us. They will keep up with OS. OS is about everything in life containing all the types of programming. You can develop in the kernel and you can use this Operating System as a virtual environment for your project.
10 years of pf presentation
Interview with Kris Moore (PC-BSD)
PC Perspective‘s John Davis interviewed Kris Moore recently. They talk about PC-BSD’s hardware support, performance, games and the future. The full interview can be read here: Interview with Kris Moore, Founder and Lead Developer at PC-BSD.
cyphertite is a high-security scalable solution for online backups that can be installed on FreeBSD. The project is looking for testers and feedback. cyphertite features include:
- client-based system
- IPv6 support
- compresses and encrypts all data before transmission
- deduplicates using fixed-size pieces of data called “chunks”
- all network traffic is encrypted using openssl certificates and keys
- realm deduplication i.e. only backs up a file once if it is on N computers that share the same user account
- incremental backups for shorter backup window and smaller metadata files
- local cache database of chunks already sent to server avoids unnecessary encryption and network traffic
- pay according to storage space used, not per client machine
- demonstrable privacy of client data with open source client
The Unix Method of Development Management
Spanish video on PC-BSD
Sergio Ligregnio’s presentation on PC-BSD (in Spanish).