If you download from BETA2 work there shouldn’t be any problems, however, plugins that worked in BETA2 will stop working. You’ll want to use the plugins in the BETA3 directory with this beta, don’t mix and match.
Notable highlights in this beta release are:
- a complete refactor of plugins
- iSCSI target reload
- samba security fix
Please read the following notes before downloading or upgrading:
- The image size increased in 8.0.1-BETA3. The new size requires a 2 GB storage device. The GUI upgrade can be used to upgrade a system from BETA3, BETA4, or RC1 but upgrades from earlier releases can only be done from the CD. The other option is to save the config, reinstall the new version, then restore the config.
- FreeBSD can be really touchy with hardware. Please be sure to update your BIOS/BMC firmware when upgrading / installing FreeNAS if you run into OS hang issues. There have been cases identified where a BIOS upgrade has fixed driver hangs, and/or other issues with FreeNAS; one such example was with an Intel 82578DC motherboard, as noted in the FreeNAS 8 forum thread titled “8.0.3-RELEASE coming soon..”: http://bit.ly/rq78Q3 , post # 70-88. Again, please only do this if you experience booting / runtime issues, as some vendors don’t test FreeBSD interoperability as much as others between major firmware releases.
- Previous builds were branded as i386/amd64 (32-bit and 64-bit respectively). 8.0.3-RC1+ rebranded the architectures as x86 and x64, respectively.
- 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 images advertised CIFS shares to Macs by default but 8.0.3 and later images don’t advertise CIFS shares by default. If you want to advertise CIFS shares in 8.0.3 and later, be sure to turn on “Zeroconf” support in the CIFS global settings.
- Builds prior to 8.0.3-RELEASE with ‘CIFS’ didn’t actually have AIO (asynchronous I/O) enabled. So, if you experience performance degradation after upgrading from prior versions of FreeNAS to 8.0.3-RELEASE or newer, turn off AIO or tune the AIO size from ‘1’ to something more reasonable (the new default in 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1 is 4096 or 4kB
Download FreeNAS 8.2.0-BETA3