Kris Moore has announced the availability of the next PC-BSD testing snapshot: PC-BSD 9-STABLE-20120524. This snapshot is available for both the i386and amd64 architectures.
Some changes since the previous snapshot:
- Based on FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 05-20-2012.
- Add support to Warden for using ZFS snapshots on jails. Now you may create, remove, and rollback previous snapshots of a jail via the command-line and GUI.
- New bottom panel and features in the AppCafe for installed applications.
- Updated the pc-thinclient command.
- Added some safety checks to ZFS installs.
- New “About” GUI, displays information about system.
- Added initial support for enabling 8021X authentication, still a work in progress.
- Added LDAP/AD support to installed Samba packages.
Highlights for the upcoming 9.1:
- New system installer is greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
- New PC-BSD Server installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
- Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
- Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
- Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
- Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
- First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
- New Bluetooth pairing tray / GUI utilities.
- New AppCafe improvements and preferences
- Improvements to wifi utility.
- Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
- Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.
- Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
Remember this snapshot is recommended for testing purposes only. Should you come across any issues, please share them with the team on the PC-BSD Testing Mailinglist.