Thanks to all the hard work of the FreeBSD Foundation, FreeBSD developers and the contribution of a some private companies, FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE has been announced by the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team and is now available.
This is the second release from the stable/9 branch, which improves on the stability of FreeBSD 9.1 and introduces some new features.
Some of the highlights in this version are:
- The ZFS filesystem now supports TRIM when used on solid state drives.
- The virtio(4) drivers have been added to the GENERIC kernel configuration for amd64 and i386 architectures.
- The ZFS filesystem now supports lz4 compression.
- OpenSSL has been updated to version 0.9.8y.
- DTrace hooks have been enabled by default in the GENERIC kernel.
- DTrace has been updated to version 1.9.0.
- Sendmail has been updated to version 8.14.7.
- OpenSSH has been updated to version 6.2p2.
- Import unmapped I/O support from head.
A complete list of new features and known problems can be found of the 9.2 Release Notes page.