Thanks to this tutorial by user James Lodge, we can get Windows Server 2012 R2 running on a FreeBSD bhyve hypervisor. Follow the link below for the full instructions.
Before embarking its worth reviewing the requirements as running Windows on Bhyve does require a bit of work and not for the faint hearted. It also requires some pretty specific hardware requirements/features as Bhyve has been built form the ground up with modern hardware accelerated virtualisation features at the forefront leave all the legacy cruff in its wake.
- FreeBSD Current 11 r288524 (minimum)
- Kernel Modules
- vmm.ko (Bhyve)
- nmdm.ko (Null Modem)
- if_tap.ko (tap network interface)
- if_bridge.ko (bridge network interface)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation ISO
- An AutoUnattend.xml file
- To automate the installation as there is no graphical console.
- virtio Windows drivers
- CPU Supporting EPT with Unrestricted Guest Feature
- 7zip and cdrtools packages installed
- Some spare time and patients