2) Ivan Voras has done some virtualised benchmarking of
- Ubuntu 8.10,
- FreeBSD 7.1 and
- Windows Server 2008 R2 beta
on the three currently most prominent virtualisation platforms:
- VMWare ESX 3.5 U3,
- Citrix XenServer 5.0 U2,
- Microsoft Hyper-V 2008 R2
The results are mostly better then I thought they will be. Especially suprising was FreeBSD’s more than decent performance which actually lead the others in one benchmark…”
… The results show that a wholly-virtualized FreeBSD machine under ESXi was consistently almost as fast as the para-virtualized Xen Linux.
Well, after there was not too much love for my last theme I tried to do something more masscompatible this time trying to take all the critics in consideration that I earned so far:
- less colorful, stick with the original pfSense-colors (grey/red)
- don’t waste too much space for the header/footer
- kind of corporate look
- static menu, that doesn’t scroll away (I guess that at least was
- something everybody liked about the hackathon theme)
- more lightweight on graphics
- So here is what I came up with so far. This is still in the making so (like always) your feedback is appreciated and might influence the final result.
Dru Lavigne has an update on the BSDA Exam
The BSD Associate Exam is now over a year old! Here are some interesting
atats so far:
- 12 Events in all of 2008; 14 events in just the first half of 2009
- Over 1000 people have registered for a BSDCG ID (needed to register for an exam)
- The exam has been held in US, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Japan, France, Denmark, Ukraine, Netherlands, Argentina, and the UK
- So far, 66 people have passed the BSDA exam and received their certificates
- Read further
I’ve updated my FreeBSD Events & Conference Calendar and added:
- FreeBSD Network Hackaton
- pfSense Hackaton ’09
- BSD Certification dates. Please note, that there won’t be any BSDA exams taken at Fosdem 2009 this year.
If you’re aware of any FreeBSD related events that aren’t listed, please let me know.
Dru Lavign writes on her blog about the Winter versions of BSDA study DVD:
The newest version of the BSDA Study DVD is finally ready and available for sale from the BSDA Certification website.
Due to the holidays, we won’t start shipping til next Friday, January 9th. Those of you who have already ordered a DVD or are owed a DVD will have yours shipped next Friday. As always, the information available on the DVD is freely available on the Internet–the DVD is a thank you for those who are able to support the BSD Certification effort with a donation of $40 USD. The contents of the DVD include: