I’m pleased to announce that FreeNAS 8.0.1 Release Candidate 1 is available for download. This is the first release candidate for FreeNAS 8.0.1. At this point, we are no longer including new features or functionality into 8.0.1. From here on out, only bug fixes and regressions will be addressed.
Major changes are:
- There is no longer a default password
- Netatalk 2.2 is included, which provides support for Time Machine backups to OS X Lion clients
- Deleting ZFS volumes is now really an export operation
- The system now supports disabling the creation of a swap partition on every device in a volume
- UFS volumes support setting arbitrary mount points
It is therefore great to see that developers keep updating the old 0.7.2 branch. The latest update has been versioned .7529 and some of the new features are:
- Samba 3.5.6.
- AIO setting from WebGUI.
- AMD CPU on-die digital thermal sensor.
- Advanced Format 4KB sector (UFS/GPT data partition). (data partition in the boot disk is always aligned to 32KB)
- ZFS cache/log device and 4KB device in the pool.
- Logical Block Length of iSCSI disk.
- Virtual machine guest support (VMware and VirtualBox).
- iSCSI boot/install (experimental).
Full details of changes and additions can be found in the FreeNAS 0.7.2.7529 release document