Thanks, Gary, for letting me know.
This video gives a quick impression of the new look-n-feel of the upcoming PC-BSD 7 Fibonacci (due September 2008)/
What do you think of it? Please let me know in the comments below?
Michael Iedema announced the availability of AskoziaPBX 14.1
after a week of testing and feedback, we’re proud to announce pb14.1! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to let us know what you did and did not like. Also, a huge thanks to those providing webGUI translations.
Some of the changes and updates:
- New localizations for simplified and traditional Chinese, Danish and Dutch
- Sorting the logs in reverse order has been reinstated
- SIP and IAX2 URIs can now be used as dialstrings for external phone accounts
- Users may now define their own voicemail notification e-mail messages
- Dynamic dns update server address for zoneedit has been fixed
- jquery updated to 1.2.6
Manuel Kasper has announced the release of m0n0wall 1.234, a minimalist firewall distribution based on FreeBSD.
I’ve decided to create one more release in the 1.2x stable branch to add source port randomization (for both NAT and the DNS forwarder). This is a recommended upgrade for all 1.2x users, no matter whether you’re running a DNS server behind m0n0wall with NAT or not.
I work for one of the sponsors of BSD. I’ve never been to a trade show before and wanted to check it out and support BSD
says Galicia. Both ladies were at the BSD Booth with Matt Olander, CTO at iXsystems, to answer questions about FreeBSD and PC-BSD (incl. the upcoming PC-BSD 7 Fibonacci).
This operating system has been under steady development since the ’70s, and we’re a viable alternative to Linux,
said Matt Olander.
Source: wired.com (08/08/2008)
Even as the capacity of physical disks soars, storage vendors continue to charge a small fortune for network filers. An open source alternative on the lower end is FreeNAS, which has support for CIFS, NFS, rsync, SSH, iSCSI. and FTP, as well as software RAID. It can handle several authentication methods (including local, Active Directory, NIS, and RADIUS), and sports a Web GUI, all while taking less than 32MB after installation. This means you can use it on USB keys and portable hard drives.
InfoWorld’s annual Bossies awards recognize top free and open source software, and the second annual list of winners is out now. Unlike SourceForge’s Community Choice Awards, where winners are determined by votes from the community, the Bossies are awarded by InfoWorld’s editorial and test center staff.
Congratulations to the FreeNAS team. Well done
Volker Theile has announced the availability of the second beta release of FreeNAS 0.69, a tiny FreeBSD-based operating system which provides free Network Attached Storage (NAS) services.
- Upgrade e2fsprogs to 1.41.0.
- Upgrade fusefs-ntfs/ntfs-3g to 1.2531.
- Upgrade Samba to 3.0.30.
- Add ‘perms’ and ‘xattrs’ parameter to RSYNC client/local shares.
- Allow user to add additional parameters to RSYNC client/local shares.
- Modified WebGUI look & feel.
- Add ctorrent client (No WebGUI, only console support).
- Disable splashscreen because it causes reboots on some systems.
- Keep time zone informations up to date (BR 2034132).
- Upgrade rsync to 3.0.3.
- Enable WLAN interface setup via console.
- Add ‘Loewe Connect’ UPnP support (FR 2003278).
- Modify iSCSI-Target WebGUI. This will hopefully reduce ‘Extent’ configuration problems.
- Disallow adding duplicate named CIFS/SMB and AFP shares.
- Rename environment variable used by /etc/rc.d/rsync_client and rsync_local scripts to rsync_client_logfile and rsync_local_logfile.
- If ‘Recycle bin’ has been enabled for a CIFS/SMB share the ‘.recycle’ directory will be created with 0777 permissions. A subdir will be created for each user with 0700 permissions.
- Add ‘mount_smbfs’ command.
Kris Moore has put an update on the PC-BSD website about the PC-BSD 7
… preparing for the next major release of PC-BSD, also known as PC-BSD 7. This new version will be based on FreeBSD 7, and include KDE 4.1 as the primary desktop interface. We are currently releasing weekly Alpha ISO’s, that allow us to test out the new features, and fix bugs associated with the switch to a FreeBSD 7 and KDE 4.1 base.
He also notes there’s a new version of the PBI Builder software available.
Read the full status update