An online update from PC-BSD 1.4.1 -> 184.108.40.206 has been released today, as both a standalone PBI patch & Online Update. This version includes an update to the CUPS 1.3.3 package, as well as other fixes / improvements to printing support. Users may upgrade to this version via the Online Update utility in PC-BSD 1.4.1, or by downloading a patch installer on our updates page.
After a long period of silence the development of Frenzy will be continued. The next version will be more sysadmin-oriented (most of desktop applications will be removed and installation to HDD will be disabled).
Since unionfs is usuable in FreeBSD now, Frenzy will heavily use it’s advantages. The most notable feature is Frenzy Extension Modules (FEM), which allow to add applications to LiveCD/LiveUSB without rebuilding (similar feature in Damn Small Linux and SLAX).
Public beta build of Frenzy 1.1 will be available soon.
Source : Frenzy forum (16/11/2007)
A new beta release (1.5) of m0n0wall 1.3 has been released. The development changelog of the FreeBSD-based mini firewall lists the following improvements:
- Added siproxd for transparent SIP proxying and masquerading and simple registrar service
- added vr(4) driver VLAN fix (for ALIX, etc.)
- sisX interface names are now automatically changed to vrX when running on ALIX
- added reset button driver for ALIX
- upgraded ipfilter to 4.1.23
- fixed FIN handling in ipnat FTP proxy
- changed logo, license and footer to include registered trademark sign
m0n0wall 1.3b is based on FreeBSD 6.x and has better hardware support than the FreeBSD 4.x-based versions (up to version 1.23), as well as a few new features. However, it also has higher hardware requirements.
RoFreeSBIE 1.3 is a new release from the project developing an installable live DVD, based on the latest FreeBSD and designed for desktop use (This version is based on FreeBSD-6.3-PRERELEASE).
RoFreeSBIE 1.3 has improved startup scripts, backup and restore scripts. Using backup and restore scripts you can save all system settings to a floppy or an USB storage device and retrieve them at the next startup. Almost all possible settings can be saved (network configuration, firewall etc). RoFreeBSIE – the mobile desktop.
This version also comes with some new features:
- the possibility to activate and deactivate Nvidia drivers on the fly.
- a new installer (from the DesktopBSD project)
- Xorg 7.3, KDE 3.5.7, latest Nvidia drivers, new startup scripts, new scripts for mounting removable media.
- Better performance by disabling SMP on single core/processor computers
- Fixed installation on disks with special partition names
- Inclusion of the FreeBSD ports collection on the DVD
The new release candidate comes with Xorg 7.3 and uses KDE 3.5.8 as its desktop environment.
Many desktop applications are included, such as:
- Amarok 1.4.7
- K3B 1.0.3
- KTorrent 2.2.2
- Mozilla Firefox 220.127.116.11
- Mozilla Thunderbird 18.104.22.168
- OpenOffice.org 2.3.0
- Pidgin 2.2.2
- VideoLAN Client (VLC) 0.8.6c
Upgrades from 1.0, previous release candidates and even the i386 version are supported. Language packages for 18 different languages are included and can be installed from the DVD.
Over the weekend FreeNAS 0.686b2 was released. Download link
- Set correct sysid when formating disks with FAT32(0x0b) and EXT2(0x83).
- Enable user to set volume label when formating disk using EXT2.
- Refactor complete disk/RAID initialization/management/encryption PHP code && WebGUI.
- Refactor API for better maintenance and feature enhancement.
- Upgrade PHPMailer to 2.0.0 rc1.
- Upgrade PHP to 5.2.5.
- Upgrade netbsd-iscsi (iscsi-target) to 20071025.
- Add GNU General Public License (GPL), GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), Apple Public Source License and PHP License text (located in usr/local/www).
iXsystems has announced a distribution agreement with Fry’s Electronics whereby all Fry’s stores nationwide will carry PC-BSD Version 1.4, Da Vinci Edition. The agreement marks the first time that the PC-BSD operating system is made available for purchase at Fry’s Electronics.
PC-BSD is a fully functional desktop operating system based on FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE. FreeBSD is one of the most used UNIX-like operating systems in the world. It is widely renowned as the most stable and secure server operating system.
We are confident that the availability of PC-BSD at Fry’s Electronics will increase the familiarity and adoption of PC-BSD
FreeBSD is already the server operating system of choice for many system administrators. This historic agreement will ensure that PC-BSD, the open source desktop operating system running FreeBSD under the hood, becomes available to a mainstream market
said Theresa Garner, General Manager of FreeBSD Mall.
We are confident that the availability of PC-BSD at Fry’s Electronics will increase the familiarity and adoption of PC-BSD”, said Michael Lauth, CEO of iXsystems. “Once users try PC-BSD they will be impressed by the wide array of features characterizing this open source operating system, including out-of-the-box support for Flash 7 in native BSD browsers, official NVIDIA drivers to simplify activating hardware acceleration, optional 3D desktop using Compiz Fusion, and a new graphical wireless configuration tool to easily establish a wireless connection with supported network adapters.
PC-BSD is expected to become available in all Fry’s stores nationwide by Monday, November 19. Fry’s has stores in Northern California, Southern California, Texas, Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.
PC-BSD 1.4.1 has been released. These are the major changes:
- Upgrades Compiz 0.5.2 to Compiz-Fusion 0.6.0
- Switches from HPIJS to HPLIP for better printer / scanner support.
- Adds extra screen savers with X-Screensaver package
- Updates NVIDIA drivers to latest releases from NVIDIA.
- Updates GTK / Pango libraries to latest in ports
- Fixes some misc bugs with PBI Removal tool, and Network manager.
- Fixes issue with “tar” extract error during install when using custom partitioning.
- Switches ISO to LZMA compression, speeding up the install and reducing the size of the CD ISO image.
- Fixed bug with some of doc files have unreadable permissions
- Added anacron config into base system
- Fixed bug starting the PCBSD Updater tool