An online update from PC-BSD 1.4.1 -> 18.104.22.168 has been released today, as both a standalone PBI patch & Online Update. This version includes an update to the CUPS 1.3.3 package, as well as other fixes / improvements to printing support. Users may upgrade to this version via the Online Update utility in PC-BSD 1.4.1, or by downloading a patch installer on our updates page.
After a long period of silence the development of Frenzy will be continued. The next version will be more sysadmin-oriented (most of desktop applications will be removed and installation to HDD will be disabled).
Since unionfs is usuable in FreeBSD now, Frenzy will heavily use it’s advantages. The most notable feature is Frenzy Extension Modules (FEM), which allow to add applications to LiveCD/LiveUSB without rebuilding (similar feature in Damn Small Linux and SLAX).
Public beta build of Frenzy 1.1 will be available soon.
Source : Frenzy forum (16/11/2007)
A new beta release (1.5) of m0n0wall 1.3 has been released. The development changelog of the FreeBSD-based mini firewall lists the following improvements:
- Added siproxd for transparent SIP proxying and masquerading and simple registrar service
- added vr(4) driver VLAN fix (for ALIX, etc.)
- sisX interface names are now automatically changed to vrX when running on ALIX
- added reset button driver for ALIX
- upgraded ipfilter to 4.1.23
- fixed FIN handling in ipnat FTP proxy
- changed logo, license and footer to include registered trademark sign
m0n0wall 1.3b is based on FreeBSD 6.x and has better hardware support than the FreeBSD 4.x-based versions (up to version 1.23), as well as a few new features. However, it also has higher hardware requirements.
RoFreeSBIE 1.3 is a new release from the project developing an installable live DVD, based on the latest FreeBSD and designed for desktop use (This version is based on FreeBSD-6.3-PRERELEASE).
RoFreeSBIE 1.3 has improved startup scripts, backup and restore scripts. Using backup and restore scripts you can save all system settings to a floppy or an USB storage device and retrieve them at the next startup. Almost all possible settings can be saved (network configuration, firewall etc). RoFreeBSIE – the mobile desktop.
This version also comes with some new features:
- the possibility to activate and deactivate Nvidia drivers on the fly.
- a new installer (from the DesktopBSD project)
- Xorg 7.3, KDE 3.5.7, latest Nvidia drivers, new startup scripts, new scripts for mounting removable media.
Datapipe running FreeBSD was the most reliable hosting company for Oct/2007.
3 of the top 10 run FreeBSD, 4 linux.
All hosting/operating systems statistics here.
- Better performance by disabling SMP on single core/processor computers
- Fixed installation on disks with special partition names
- Inclusion of the FreeBSD ports collection on the DVD
The new release candidate comes with Xorg 7.3 and uses KDE 3.5.8 as its desktop environment.
Many desktop applications are included, such as:
- Amarok 1.4.7
- K3B 1.0.3
- KTorrent 2.2.2
- Mozilla Firefox 22.214.171.124
- Mozilla Thunderbird 126.96.36.199
- OpenOffice.org 2.3.0
- Pidgin 2.2.2
- VideoLAN Client (VLC) 0.8.6c
Upgrades from 1.0, previous release candidates and even the i386 version are supported. Language packages for 18 different languages are included and can be installed from the DVD.
Over the weekend FreeNAS 0.686b2 was released. Download link
- Set correct sysid when formating disks with FAT32(0x0b) and EXT2(0×83).
- Enable user to set volume label when formating disk using EXT2.
- Refactor complete disk/RAID initialization/management/encryption PHP code && WebGUI.
- Refactor API for better maintenance and feature enhancement.
- Upgrade PHPMailer to 2.0.0 rc1.
- Upgrade PHP to 5.2.5.
- Upgrade netbsd-iscsi (iscsi-target) to 20071025.
- Add GNU General Public License (GPL), GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), Apple Public Source License and PHP License text (located in usr/local/www).